The history of Bury Baptist Church springs out of the history of three other churches which, for various reasons towards the end of the 1960’s, found they could no longer function as such.
Ebenezer Baptist Church (Tenterden Street)
In order to widen the busy thoroughfare of Tenterden Street, Bury Corporation bought the land occupied by Ebenezer Baptist Church. A survey revealing structural defects of the buildings confirmed the wisdom of this action.
Chesham Baptist Church
This building also revealed structural defects. Developers bought the land and buildings located on Walmersley Road at the junction of Chesham Road and erected shops on the site. A final joint service of these two churches was held on 22 November 1970 and the official closure date for both was 25 December, 1970.
Christian (Baptist) Church
Around the year 1859. the Rev Franklin Haworth became the founding pastor of a church known as Christian Church located on Rochdale Road at the junction of Heywood Street. His ministry attracted a large congregation. He taught and practiced ‘Believers Baptism’ on confession of faith. Bound copies of the church magazine called the ‘Messenger’ are deposited in the Public Records files of Bury Library.
With the agreement of the Trustees and Members of these three churches, the proceeds of sale were used for the purchase and development of our current premises.
The first Minister of the new church was Rev T A Roberts. He returned to teaching in 1978 and worked part-time alongside Rev James McEwan. Arthur returned to full-time ministry in 1981, moving to Fishergate Baptist Church in Preston. Jim was appointed full-time minister at Bury and during his 31 years of ministry led the church in both numerical and spiritual growth. Jim retired in 2009 and in 2011 was succeeded by Rev. Timofey Cheprasov.
Here you can find a chronology of Baptist presence in Bury.